The London Spiral, a walk around London from the inside out, has reached its outer circle, and over the months ahead will be exploring those parts of Berkshire, Surrey and Sussex that melt into the edge of the metropolis.
It’s a series of walks, each one picking up the path where the previous month left off, and covering the land and geography of the wider reaches of London.
- 11 Feb 2018: Enfield to Hadley Wood – done
- 11 March: Hadley Wood to Borehamwood – done
- 8th April: Elstree to Carpenders Park – done
- 13 May: Hatch End to Northolt – done
- 10 June: Hillingdon to Hayes ** up next **
- 8 July: Hayes to Heathrow
- 12 Aug: Feltham to Kempton Park
- 9 Sept: Hampton to Chessington
- 14 Oct: Chessington to Woodmansterne
- 11 Nov: Smitham to Biggin Hill
- 9 Dec 2018: Biggin Hill Airport to Knockholt
- 13 Jan 2019: Knockholt to Eynesford
Meet at: Ickenham station (Piccadilly and Metropolitan lines)
When: Sunday 10 June 2018, 1pm
Distance: walk 6 miles to Hayes
Walk through: Ickenham marshes (not so damp these days), woodland, hay meadow, botanic gardens
The Hillingdon Trail (website): more about the walk …
I had wanted to walk to Heathrow Airport, but it’s too far from where we left off last time, in Ruislip, in the suburbs. We’ll get there next time, let’s focus on this stage out west of London in flat, once boggy, now carefully managed Ickenham marshes.
It’s an ideal summer walk, bushy and grassy, languid and empty. We follow the Yeading Brook through woodland and meadow. It’s quiet, but in places the peace of the flat land is undermined by the growls of the bikers in their field, and suburban indy gangs in Hayes fighting in the street for no good reason. Folks, that’s what I saw.
Gateway to Ickenham Marshes
Crack willow trees like this flat wet area
Follow the yellow board walk
The Yeading Brook drifts under the A40 highway
Gingko Biloba trees line Lansbury Drive
Sculpture in the botanic garden by Beck Theatre, Hayes
Hay meadow, Lake Farm country park
BMX bike riders
Street fight, Dawley Road
Commemoration, and traffic accident beyond, crossing the M4